A very simple and safe way to kill insects

This little tip seems to not be widely known, but if you mix water with dishwashing detergent, you create a very effective insect poison

I have seen it work instantly on wasps, and on ants and flies after a few seconds.

It has the added bonus that detergent is not harmful to us, and you can squirt this around the house, on plates, on pets by accident without any harm, and on kitchen surfaces or shelves

After discovering this, I looked into the science behind it:  Insects do not breathe the same way that we do.  Rather than lungs, they run a liquid over narrow channels along their shells to pick up oxygen, and the liquid is held in these channels by surface tension.  Detergent breaks the surface tension of these liquids, so they cannot breathe.

Hope that helps!